Definition of Mental Illness
A very common term heard nowadays, especially during this lockdown. It is an Illness but people don't consider it as an Illness, it is more seen as a taboo. But just know that it is a type of disease just like any other disease people have. Mental Illness is a disease connected to your inner self as to how you are feeling, behaving and socially active. It affects a person emotionally such as how they are reacting, their mood, their behaviour. It affects your daily life activity just the same when you go through physical pain. It's very crucial to have information and know what is Mental Illness because there is a lot of misinformation out there regarding this. After you have a clear idea about what is a mental illness you should know what causes it. Mental Illness can be caused due by past traumatic experiences such as physical and emotional abuse, any kind of brain defect or injury you have, suffering from any kind of infection which is linked with your brain.
To know that you or someone you known is suffering from such a disease or to known the symptoms read https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.medicinenet.com/what_are_the_5_signs_of_mental_illness/article.htm&ved=2ahUKEwi3vImZg9nyAhVBJHIKHSoJCvQQFnoECDEQBQ&usg=AOvVaw1gV7nmKrPCMU363EL8Bjty
Types of Mental Illness
Just like there are classifications of every disease, mental illnesses also have a list of them.
What is mental illness, it is an illness that affects your mood and their many types of mental illness such as -:
• Depression- You might know or have a little knowledge about this. Everyone faces sadness in their life maybe one day or many days but when it's hard to cope up with this sadness and unable to resume your normal life then you are suffering from depression. This sadness can reach up to a level that might trigger you to commit suicide or end your life. There are also many types of depression -:
2. Bipolar Disorder
3. Seasonal Depression
4. Psychotic Depression
• Anxiety Disorder - When someone suffers from anxiety they have a sense of fear, worry and nervousness. This is mainly suffered by teenagers facing several emotional ups and downs and isn't able to cope up with it. Anxiety can be caused emotionally or physically.
Some common types of anxiety disorders are
1. Panic Disorder
2. Generalized Anxiety Disorder
3. Phobic Disorder
4. Separation anxiety Disorder
• OCD - ( obsession Compulsive Disorder) When a particular issue is bothering you very much and it affects your normal thinking. A person suffering from OCD may have a panic attack to an extent that he might end up engaging in some compulsive behaviour.
Girls and women are said to be more affected by this.
• BD ( Bipolar Disorder) - In bipolar disorder, you either feel very energetic or feel very low. You have an extreme mood change. Bipolar disorder can affect your family and career. It occurs in a cycle.
A big question is Can Mental Illness be cured?
There is no such treatment for mental illness.
Mental Illness can't be cured, it can only be improved by effective medications. There are also many tests for mental illness.
A balanced diet, diet, sleep and therapy and support of loved ones can help you to cure it.
Many famous people either gave up on life or fought with mental illness. A huge bank balance, luxurious cars and houses don't bring happiness to your life. Yes, you heard it you will be shocked to hear that there are many artists with mental illness despite having every possible thing in life. Celebrities like Lady gaga having being such a successful singer was suffering from Post-traumatic disorder. Daniel Radcliffe is a famous actor known for playing Harry Potter was suffering from Obsessive-compulsive disorder. There are many known people like Katty Perry, Michael Phelps, J.K. Rowling etc.
Mental Illness in Children
Mental Illness in children is often described as a change in how children behave and handle their emotions which hampers their daily activity.
Symptoms of mental illness in children
• Difficulty in focusing on whatever activity they do.
• stomach pain and headache without any medical problems with
• Difficulty in interacting with other children.
• Extreme irritability.
There are tests for mental illness and through that which type of mental illness your child is suffering can be found out.
A common type of Mental health found in children are-:
1. ADHD ( Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder )
2. Anxiety Disorder
3. Mood disorderly
4. Eating Disorder
5. ASD (Autism spectrum disorder)
Is mental illness genetic? Yes, mental health can be inherited but the risk of inheritance is not determined still. 70 to 90% of cases are due to genetics. If any type of mental disorder runs in your family it is obvious you will be affected at some point in your life.
Having a mental illness is no one's fault and you can easily recover from it with the support of your family and friends and proper medication. If you see any of these symptoms you should not hesitate to go to a doctor or physiatrist because you shouldn't live with it as it can lead to a serious issues.